Saturday, April 25, 2009

Obsession for the Lost

I am at Exponential this weekend.  The title of the week is “The Art of Movement”.  The whole challenge given to us is not just to plan to plant a church, but rather start a movement.  It got me thinking about Journey and what we are called to do and to be.  I am determined to be a church that is about the kingdom.  I think the temptation might be to make Journey about Journey and I don’t want to get comfortable with being a church.  I don’t want to be measured by church attendance alone, or by offerings alone, or by being compared another church, to be confident on what God is doing.  If we are going to be successful, the measurement is going to be God’s standard, not yours or mine. 

In the movie the Guardian, the main character is played by Kevin Costner and he works for the coast guard rescue.  There is a young kid who is new on the force, I believe he is played by Ashton Kutcher, and he is gunning to be the best rescuer ever on the force.  There is a scene where the young kid asks Costner “What’s your number?”  He was wondering how many people Costner saved over the years.  Costner paused and said “22”.  Thinking for a moment, the young guy says, he had to have saved more than that, more than 22.  Costner then says “No, 22 is how many I lost. 22 people drowned.  That is the only number I ever kept.” 

I wonder what would happen if the church became obsessed with the number of lost people instead of how many people attended this week?  I hope I can keep that the priority of my life from this day forward.

Take care,

Rod 

No comments:

Post a Comment