Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Masters

Did you watch the Masters this weekend?  What a great tournament!  I was rooting for Kenny Perry to win it.  Anybody who is my age and can hit the ball as long as those young bucks is a hero of mine.  Even after losing on the second playoff hole, he was a truly gracious man.  When they interviewed him afterward he talked about playing well and how proud he was of the winner, Angel Cabrera.    When he said that I thought “what a really nice guy”, so I instantly became of fan of Kenny Perry from Kentucky. There was no jealousy, no anger, no visible disappointment, just total graciousness out of the man because he recognized how hard it is to win the Masters and how well you have to play.

Gay and I have been visiting churches in the area and every time we meet the pastor they always ask “So what brought you from Washington DC to Fernley Nevada?  I must admit that I am a little nervous when I tell them I am out here to start a new church.  I don’t want them to think that I am there to steal their sheep or saying that they are not doing a good enough job so I am here to do a church right.  The reactions have been mixed but there have been two pastors that have been more than accommodating as we begin this adventure.  One in particular, Duane, had introduced me to the Rotary Club and his wife is the one who invited me to the Chamber of Commerce meeting this Wednesday.  He has been friendly and gracious in his approach with me. 

It’s all about the Kingdom, isn’t it?  I mean we do this to win people to Jesus, right?  Of course, I have thought about being the pastor of a large, mega church, with multiple staff, being on the speaker circuit, writing a few books, and making a name for myself.  But that is not what it’s about…it’s about the kingdom.  I appreciate guys like Duane who understands that too.

Take care,

Rod 

No comments:

Post a Comment