Sunday, September 6, 2009

10 (5 today) Reasons to Abandon Ship!

I was reading an article written by Rick Reilly on ESPN.com on the only 10 Reasons you can change your loyalties from one team to another. I thought I would try it for churches. So here we go (making these up as I go along). Here are the first 5:
1. The Pastor is NOT teaching the truth. I put this as number one because this is the biggest reason I could think of. If the truth, the WHOLE truth and nothing but the truth is not being taught...leave. I know the truth can be hard at times and sometimes very unpopular, but as a pastor we need to remember that we will answer to God and not to the size of our church or whatever man-made standard might be out there.
2. The church is not following biblical standards when it comes to finances, missions, or leadership. Most of the time, these are just signs of other deeper problems.
3. The leadership no longer desires to win the lost to Christ. I know, I know, ALL churches SAY they are about winning the lost, but often the sacrifice is too much for them to want to handle, or there are other excuses they have become adept at rationalizing and accepting. Too many churches don't even reflect the community in which they exist. There really is no excuse.
4. Bickering and fighting within the ranks take precedence over the call of the church. I have come to believe that when churches get into this mode they no longer care about the mission of the church.
5. The church has lost it's friendliness. Maybe because of some of the reasons listed above or some yet to be mentioned, but I have see churches become increasingly unfriendly over time. When no one feels welcome to your church it is a sign of deeper problems.
Now I know that many of the reasons I gave, you might disagree with because you think you can change it. Perhaps you can, and if God has laid that on your heart, then by all means, go for it. My goal is not to get you to leave your church, so please understand, if God has prompted you through the Holy Spirit to stay and be an agent of change, then great! Pastors always pray for agents of change and you are probably an answer to prayer.
Just my thoughts.
Take care,
Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment