Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Leadership and the church

Over the years serving as Pastor and other times as Elder in a congregation I have seen all sorts of different kinds of leadership. I have seen Elders who have prayed before every decision, humbling themselves earnestly and truly seeking the will of God. Maybe I am a little skeptical, but unfortunately in my experience that is not the normal.
I have served in churches where the men didn't pray, pettiness took top priority, and ministry suffered because of men who had no business being a shepherd in a church. Elder was only a title for some to throw their weight around, criticize, and operate in the flesh. With this kind of leadership, churches suffer, communities suffer, and good men, called to be pastors, are left discouraged and wounded.
Serving the church is hard work, a life's calling and totally worth it. But often, not in this lifetime. A Pastor or Elder has to serve with eternity in mind. Knowing that his calling will have to be answered for someday. When men put their own agenda first, allow pettiness to be a priority, and only serve in fear, God is not served...rather I believe He is disappointed and perhaps even angry. We are supposed to be different than the world. Unity and self sacrifice is the behavior that pleases God. It's a shame that men, who call themselves Christ-follower's and should be living at a higher standard, serve out of the flesh. It makes me want to throw up. I can only imagine what it makes God want to do.
That's my rant for the day...thanks.
Take care,
Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment