Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When God Seems Silent

Have you ever prayed and prayed for something and nothing seems to happen.  I mean, no direction, no sign, no voice, no nothing.  What do you do when it seems like God is silent?  Let me give you 5ome things I do to help me through these times:

1. I sit and listen.  I know, I just said that I am not hearing anything, but sometimes we don’t hear because we don’t slow down enough to listen.  Sometimes I sit and stare out a window or I go outside and sit in a chair and listen for God to enter my thoughts and I listen.  Take a notepad, sometimes things kind of “flood” in.

2. I fast.  A lot of people do this at different times, but I try to fast with no purpose other than God’s purpose.  Fasting for answers or direction is important but I think sometimes we need to fast for the direction God has in mind.

3. I relax.  Sometimes we get so intense and nervous about finding God’s voice that we find no rest.  God wants us to rest and perhaps He isn’t talking because he wants you to slow down.

4. I read.  I need to remind myself of the promises and hopes of God.  It’s easy to forget.

5. I podcast.  I often listen to pastors preach and teach.  I like people like Erwin McManus at Mosaic; Pastor Gary Hamrick from Calvary Chapel; Pastor Mark Driscoll at Mars Hill; and My buddy Todd Hudson at Southeast Christian in Parker Colorado.  Sometimes what they say applies directly to me and my situation.

Take care,

Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment