Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Our first love

Gay and I went to a church yesterday where the message was about the church at Ephesus.  The message was from Revelation 2 where God speaks to the church and tells them that they were good at discerning false prophets but they forgot their first love.

I thought how easy it could be for a church to lose sight of their first love.  My first love is Jesus.  Unbelievably, it is not supposed to be the Bible, worship, or even evangelism.  My first love is supposed to be that I know Jesus in a real and intimate way.  Sometimes I can get so busy with doing the things that a church pastor is supposed to be doing that I can allow those things to be a substitute for my first love of knowing Jesus.  

Now, don’t get me wrong, all those things are great and important.  However, I want to make sure that Journey Community and Rod Idle do not forget our first love: Knowing Jesus Intimately.  I hope and pray that when people come to Journey or when they encounter Journey in town, they see that we are people who desire to know Jesus intimately, because to get to know Jesus you have to spend time with Him.   The more time you spend with Him the more you look, act, and speak like Him.  You simply reflect Him and that is when all those other good things I spoke of in the second paragraph, happen.

Let’s get to know Him.  Take care.

Rod

No comments:

Post a Comment