Monday, June 18, 2012

"Words With Friends"

"Words With Friends" is a game you play online with other people.  It's basically online scrabble.  Although I am not very good at it, I really enjoy playing.  I have had games with a woman I got to baptize a few years ago in Virginia, an old college teammate and friend, a man who was in my youth group in my very first ministry, a guy I used to work with in Indiana, and my best friend in the world and his wife (she always kills me).  I also play with family members periodically, like my son-in-law, (I really want to beat him someday) and my wife and daughter.  It is a real good time and I enjoy the mental thought process, no matter what the score.  I don't use a dictionary like I know some of my foes do (you know who you are).  I just try to win it by memory and luck.  I have probably lost more than I have won, but I keep trying.
Now let's get a little spiritual shall we?  What about the real game of words with friends?  How are you doing with talking to your "pre-christian" friends about a relationship with Christ?  It's hard isn't it.  I mean, we try to think of the right words at the right time said in the right way, but somehow we either stumble or chicken out.
What would it take to get you and I a little more aggressive?  I mean what needs to take place, happen, or change for you and I to get a little bolder and persistent when it comes to having "words with friends" about Jesus?  A seminary degree? A near death experience? A "road to Damascus" experience?  No, I don't think that is it, because eventually that would wear off.  I think what we need is some LUCK.
Before you close the page let me clarify.
L stands for Love.  Everything we do is generated out of love for Christ and love for our friends.  We would do everything we could to save them if their house was on fire or they were in the middle of a raging river without a life jacket.  So what about the fact that if they don't know Jesus personally they are in far worse shape than if they were standing in the middle of that burning house.
U stands for Understanding.  We don't often talk to people because we make assumptions about why they are the way they are when it comes to God, Jesus and all things spiritual.  I think we could probably feel a little more comfortable if we understood their story a little more.  You see telling others about Christ is a little bit of a misnomer.  It is more about listening to others understanding, beliefs and perspective on who Christ is and why He came to earth.
C stands for Christlike.  I think Jesus was often frustrated with the response He got from His family and friends don't you?  I mean His own family at one time thought He was crazy.  He taught and people walked away from Him.  Yet He stayed true to His message and He was persistent.
K stands for Knowledge.  I am always a little disappointed when I ask a Christ-follower why they follow Jesus and what He has done for them and they share from the heart how they feel and what they understand.  I like feelings but my faith is not based upon feelings alone.  It is based upon some cold hard facts.  Like the fact that there is no other way to heaven but through Christ.  Like my sins were forgiven totally but I am to live a life of pursuing holiness and bringing glory to God.  Like the fact that this world needs hope and Jesus is the ONLY hope.  We are to be instant in and out of season to be ready to share Christ with others.  Read your Bible, don't just take what you get on Sundays and hope it carries you...because it's not enough spiritual nutrition.  You need more.  Read the scriptures.
So there is a word for my friends today: LUCK
Take care,
Rod

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff! I think I focus on the "knowing" but don't let the knowledge help give me courage. Loving, understanding, and living out my Master's attitudes are great ways to get into "Jesus conversations". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubble Safari may be a bubble popping game with an arcade twist,Bubble Safari is extremely immersive with the straightforward yet strategic gameplay. If you have many friends who also are fans of Bubble Safari, you'll be able to fancy the game a heap. But if you're sometimes one player even in a social game, you can be divided in the idea concerning it.
    bubble safari beehives

    ReplyDelete