Monday, June 22, 2009

Stressssssssed!!!

How do you handle stress? I am great at handling stress. I usually blow up at miniscule things, maybe slam a door at times, and even pull my own hair. No, the truth is, I sometimes don't handle stress too well. I can let things start rushing me, press in on my day, and make me impatient and frustrated.
I begin saying things like "Why haven't they called me back?" or "What is their problem?" or "Who put that there?" Stress can ruin your day, ruin your relationships, and ruin your health. So with so much at stake, what do you do?
I have to stop whatever I am doing for a moment or two, put my head in my hands, and say a prayer. I have to re-group, remember and remind. Re-group my thoughts, remember what is important to get done, and remind myself that it is God who will make this church a success, not Rod...(and if that doesn't work, then I just punch a hole in the wall) : ).
I'd like to hear from you...what do you do to help get through the stress of it all? Respond back to the post or email me at ridle@journeyfernley.org. I will post some of the answers, sans name, in the next few weeks.
Take care,
Rod

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes swing at a golf ball as hard as I can, of course this results in more frustration since I the results are not too favorable. But eventually I burn out frustration, sit by the pool, read a devotion about someone who has survived, no thrived, in a lot tougher times than I have ever thought of going through. I look around and realize I am blessed and that my stress is minor compared to that of others, like you. (STBY)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stress... What is stress but energy looking for an outlet. When I get so stressed that I want to slam doors etc. like you mentioned, I get my dog, Brinkley, and we go play fetch until my arm falls off (or leg since he loves his soccer ball). Then we just sit in a nice quiet location until we both get our breaths back. I think the quiet time is the best because that is when I can actually reflect on why I was stressed and usually come to the conclusion that nothing was as bad as it seemed at the time.

    ReplyDelete