Monday, February 27, 2012

Act of Valor

Probably the most popular movie in the theater's right now is "Act of Valor" starring some active Navy seals. I went to see it yesterday with some friends and I thoroughly enjoyed the action, bravery, teamwork and the sacrifice depicted in this film. I saw men who love their country, love their families, love their team, and love being a Navy seal.
I promise not to give away the movie, but it starts out with a man talking and quoting his father or grandfather and saying the worst part of getting old is that men don't think your dangerous anymore... or at least it was something close to that.
I liked that quote because I think there is a real need for dangerous men today. Now I don't mean we all need to become Navy seals. I am sure those days are not in my future and I am pretty sure they would not have been in my past either...those are some tough men! But without being a Navy seal and staying within the confines of the law, it is still possible for men to be dangerous out there today. I think God loves the dangerous man. He loves the guy who would storm the gates of hell with a squirt gun! God is not safe and I don't think He calls us to be safe. He wants us to be dangerous for the cause of Christ. I liked these Navy seals and how they stayed on mission, never deviating, never complaining, and never faltering. Even when they are met with great opposition and danger they never wavered in their mission. Now it is important to understand that these men were not fearless. They had fears. They feared not seeing their family again when they left on a mission. They feared not the enemy, but what the enemy would be able to do if they, the seals, did not accomplish their mission's goals.
We need some dangerous men in the leadership of today's church. We need men who are more concerned with the things of God than they are the things of men. We need men to fear what would happen if the church fails to accomplish their calling, their mission in this lost world. I want to see Journey be a church that stares down the enemy and knows that we must accomplish what God has called us to do here in Fernley. I pray that every day our resolve will be stronger, or vision clearer, and our faith will be tested so that we will grow into a church that can be counted on in the kingdom of God.
I read this quote a long time ago and have loved it ever since: It is by Dr. Bob Moorehead

I am a part of the fellowship of the Unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit
Power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has
been made. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won't look back, let up, slow
down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense,
and my future is secure. I am finished and done with low living, sight
walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tame visions,
mundane talking, chintzy giving, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or
popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised,
regarded, or rewarded. I now live by presence, learn by faith, love by
patience, lift by prayer, and labor by power.

My pace is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven, my road is narrow, my
way is rough, my companions few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is clear.
I cannot be bought, compromised, deterred, lured away, turned back, diluted,
or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the
presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the
pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of
mediocrity.

I won't give up, back up, let up, or shut up until I've preached up, prayed
up, paid up, stored up, and stayed up for the cause of Christ. I am a
disciple of Jesus Christ. I must go until He returns, give until I drop,
preach until all know, and work until He comes.

And when He comes to get His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My
colors will be clear for
"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the
power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.." (Romans 1:16)

Take care,
Rod


2 comments:

  1. I love this! So very true! Love the squirt gun analogy...sad thing is that we have been given so much more to charge forward with and we still, at times, falter in fear. Afraid to step out to the call God has put upon our lives. I am praying that God will continue to instill the character of being dangerous men for the cause of Christ on our leaders at Journey! Maybe our creed should be the same as one of the early unwritten creeds of the Navy Seals, "Leave no man behind", as we work courageously toward the goal of every soul in Fernley being won to Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb, Joshua, Josheb-Basshebeth, Eleazar, and Shammah were 5 who demonstrate that God really loves SEALs. They talked and walked like SEALs, but saw themselves as tools of God. Gives me chills.

    ReplyDelete